Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy: What To Expect on Your First Visit
Your first visit at Renew Physical Therapy will focus on finding solutions and presenting a program that will ensure success and life long relief of your symptoms. Our goal is to provide you with the tools and education you need to understand the root causes of your condition. When you arrive, you will be escorted to a beautifully decorated, private treatment room in our spa-like environment.
We have been practicing integrative osteopathic care since 2005, and are the originators of empowerment healthcare for pelvic floor rehabilitation. Not only do we redefine the “clinical atmosphere”, Renew PT is also an established and recognized healing center. We have been holding ourselves to the highest of standards for over 10 years, and we take your Renew PT experience to a level that is unparalleled in the the industry.
The Evaluation- Phase One: The Conversation
The therapists at Renew Physical are all specialists in field women’s and men’s health and will listen closely to what you have to say. By listening closely and getting a detailed past and present medical history during your evaluation we will get a clear picture of your needs and the root causes of your condition. We will work hard at devising an integrative treatment plan that will ensure your success, providing you with pain relief and a sense of renewal. Our treatment plans focus on giving you your life back and awakening the healer within you.
The Evaluation- Phase Two: The Physical Evaluation of The Pelvic Floor Muscles: External or Internal Exam
Following the history intake we focus not only on the pelvic floor muscles, but also the body parts that have a great influence on these muscles. We treat the whole person not just the pelvic floor muscles and we work to create a strong foundation so your initial exam is divided into two parts. The external part of the exam includes assessing your posture and testing your core for Diastsis Recti Abdominal separation. An evaluation of your pelvis, hips, spine, sacrum and upper thighs is also performed to locate trigger points, determine flexibility and mobility of the muscles and joints.
After your external body exam an evaluation of your pelvic floor muscles will be performed with your informed consent. We are creative with this aspect of your evaluation, as we use three different methods to asses your PFM.
The pelvic floor muscles are best assessed either intra-vaginal (methods one) or intra-rectal (method two), but can also be assess by external palpation or using our cutting edge biofeedback technology(method three). The type of method you choose for your pelvic floor muscle evaluation is up to you and depends on comfort and level of pain. It is important to note that our evaluations are not like your typical doctor’s visits. We do not use stir-ups or speculums and the exams are performed with a gloved finger with very gentle touch where we are in deep communication with you at all times, ensuring your comfort every step of the way.
For our pregnant patients we typically use biofeedback and external palpation to evaluate the pelvic floor muscles and we get amazing results. For pregnant patients that desire perineal massage and internal pelvic floor muscle evaluation a prescription from your OB/GYN or midwife is required.
The Evaluation- Phase Three: Treatment on the First Visit
Unlike other physical therapy places, we take your initial visit seriously and provide you with immediate information on how to improve your condition. Your session will last 45 minutes to an hour. At Renew Physical Therapy we don’t use aides so your 45 minutes is one on one with your therapist. We are unique in that we provide you with a personalized patient handbook, photos of exercises and a list of successful tips. We are the originators of empowerment healthcare, and since 2005 we have always provided you with all the tools and confidence you need so you can successfully reproduce what we do at the healing center in your own home.
Treatments on the First Visit Can Include:
- Biofeedback technology will be used to help you visualize and connect with your pelvic floor muscles. A picture paints a thousand words and you will be able to see how your pelvic floor muscles contract (kegel) and how they relax (Reverse Kegel). From this information a pelvic health program is designed.
- Soft tissue massage, myofascial release, trigger point release techniques are performed intra-vaginally, intra-rectally or externally to release long held muscle tension and spasms in the pelvic floor muscles. These techniques release pain patterns held in the muscles and improve pelvic floor muscle coordination flexibility, strength and endurance.
- You will be taught how to massage and stretch the pelvic floor muscles. Sometimes we teach you how to do it with your fingers or with tools called medical dilators. We believe this to be an integral part of what you learn on your first visit.
- Visceral manipulation to facilitate proper positioning of the organs and release of restrictions in the fascia. We focus on the bladder, uterus, rectum and digestive organs.
- Osteopathic approach for re-alignment of the sacral-iliac joint and lumbar spine. We believe this is to be a missing link in men’s and women’s rehab programs.
- Cold Laser Therapy for the relief of scar tissue adhesions, Caesarian pain, symphysis pubic pain and other triggerpoint and muscle spasm pain.
- Micro-current technology for pain relief.
- Reiki energy may be incorporated to help release the emotional component of your condition. We believe in mind-body medicine and are the pioneers of “Wholistic” and integrative physical therapy.
What Pregnancy Patients Should Expect:
We believe in an empowered pregnancy, pain free and safe delivery and to this end it is our duty to help with achieve these goals. Your visit with us will be a unique experience where we focus completely on your needs and getting to the root cause of your condition or pain. We will evaluate you from head to toe, focusing in on the areas that are contributing to your pain and dysfunction. Our goal is to get you back to your life and active again during pregnancy and to set you up for a quick recovery from labor and delivery. We will examine your posture, pelvic alignment, strength and endurance and formulate a program that will that will be easy to preform, effective and can be incorporated into your daily routine and performed at home. Our Clinical Director Isa Herrera has tied all of these trade secrets for pregnancy into a great book entitled Ending Pain in Pregnancy.
Treatments For Pregnant Patients Can Include:
Massage therapy and rehabilitation exercise to alleviate back pain, sciatica and pubic pain during pregnancy and in the post-partum period.
Belting at Renew is something we take seriously. We may recommend that you use a belt to help ease low back pain, symphysis pubic bone pain, abdominal separation or pelvic pressure. Belts will help you while your muscles recover get strong and sometimes are a life saver by helping maintain alignment.
Correct breathing techniques and relaxation breathing may also be introduced to you during your treatment sessions along with therapeutic yoga and stretching.
Biofeedback technology to help you visualize and get connect to your pelvic floor muscles. With the information we gather, we will formulate a program to strengthen and relax your pelvic floor muscles so you are prepared for labor and delivery and can bounce back in the post-partum period.
Osteopathic approach for re-alignment of the sacral-iliac joint and lumbar spine. We believe this is to be a missing link in pregnancy rehab programs. We use gentle muscle energy techniques to align your pelvis. After aligning, many times a belt might be necessary, and we are experts in fitting you with the right belts for your particular needs.
Education on safe labor positions so you don’t risk re-injury or get new injuries during labor and delivery.
- Core assessment and prevention and correction of Diastasis Recti Addominis (abdominal separation).
For more info on our healing programs, click here